- How should we assess the value of Strauss’s European work for the understanding of his American work (and vice versa)?
- To what extent did Strauss’s passage to the United States compel him to reorient his work as a scholar and as a political philosopher?
- To what extent does the early work shed additional light on Strauss as a Jewish thinker?
- Does the early work allow us to reconstruct what might have been Strauss’s contribution to what is called the ‘Weimar conversation’ concerning law, politics and religion?
- To what extent does the early work invite us to reconsider existing interpretations of Strauss’s position vis-à-vis contemporaries such as Max Weber, Martin Heidegger, Carl Schmitt and Alexandre Kojève?
- How does the early work allow us to address the critical reception of Strauss as the putative godfather of American neo-conservatism?
Participation in the conference is free of charge, but we kindly ask that you register online.Further details are here: http://www.tilburguniversity.nl/faculties/humanities/dphil/strauss/.