- what is the difference between a good argument and a bad argument?; what's the difference between rhetoric and argument?; is there a difference between legitimate persuasion and propaganda?
- an opportunity to participate in discussion with some of the leading authors writing on these crucial questions.
DAY TWO: the role of argument and rhetoric in policy and politics
- do you have a right to your own opinion?; is the Spin Doctor's art a noble one?
- an opportunity to inoculate yourself against political rhetoric, in time for the General Election!
- Frans van Eemeren, "The Pragma-Dialectical Approach to Argument"
- Lars Hertzberg, "The Grammar of Inference"
- Don S. Levi, "The Informality of Logic"
- Michael Loughlin, "The 'Evidence Based Medicine' Debate"
- Steven Poole, "Unspeak"
- John Powell, "Criteria for Good Argument"
- Rupert Read, "'Reframing' and 'Unspeak' or Politics Without Propaganda?"
- Jamie Whyte, "Bad Thoughts and Worse Policies"
Visit the conference website here: http://www.cheshire.mmu.ac.uk/ids/home/news/whereisyourargument.php.